“Renewed conflict in Gaza shows that the international community has failed in preventing Israel from using unnecessary lethal force against civilians and ensuring basic needs for the population it occupies,” said Caroline Ort, NRC’s country director for Palestine.
“We appeal to all parties for an immediate ceasefire to spare lives. Indiscriminate attacks against civilians in Gaza and Israel must stop. Israel must abide by international law and distinguish between civilians who directly participate in hostilities and those who do not or no longer do. Palestinian Islamic Jihad must not directly or indiscriminately launch attacks against Israeli civilians.
“A six-year-old child in Gaza has on average experienced violence every year of their life. There is hardly a home or a street in Gaza that has not seen death or destruction. Poverty and unemployment are on the rise as endless cycles of violence push people to a breaking point.”
- The Norwegian Refugee Council is calling for an immediate end to hostilities in the Gaza Strip, following another escalation that has left dozens killed and injured in the first 24 hours.
- As of Thursday morning, the Palestinian ministry of health said 25 Palestinians had been killed and 76 injured in Israeli attacks. Twenty-five Israelis have sustained injuries.
- Israel launched airstrikes on Gaza in the early hours of Tuesday, targeting leaders of Palestinian Islamic Jihad, killing and injuring civilians, including women and children. Palestinian Islamic Jihad responded with rockets on Israeli territories.
For more information or to arrange an interview, please contact:
- Ahmed Bayram, Regional Media and Communications Adviser, Middle East Regional Office: email@example.com, +962 7 9016 0147
- NRC global media hotline: firstname.lastname@example.org, +47 905 62 329