Housing, land and property (HLP) issues are at the core of NRC’s programmatic and advocacy activities. Assisting individuals and groups to access their HLP rights is one of the main objectives of NRC’s Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) programme, while Shelter, Livelihoods & Food Security and WASH programmes also explicitly include HLP dimensions. Addressing HLP issues is fundamental to contribute to durable solutions and the protection of the rights of displaced populations and other populations affected by conflict or disaster.
The NRC HLP Training Manual was developed in 2010 in collaboration with IDMC and with funding from ECHO to improve the understanding of HLP issues among humanitarian organisations across countries, contexts and sectors. The training manual can be adapted to different country programmes and training needs.
The NRC HLP Training Manual is currently available in English, French, Spanish and Arabic and consists of the following thematic areas:
- Module No. 1: An introduction to Housing, Land and Property
- Module No. 2: The Housing, Land and Property International Legal Framework and Principles
- Module No. 3: Housing, Land and Property during internal displacement
- Module No. 4: Women’s Housing, Land and Property rights
- Module No. 5: Housing, Land and Property in urban contexts
- Module No. 6: Addressing Housing, Land and Property conflicts
- Module No. 7: Housing, Land and Property and durable solutions
All the training materials are available here, from the website of the Housing, Land and Property Area of Responsibility (AoR) under the Global Protection Cluster.