In 2011, South Sudan gained independence from Sudan, leading to an end to Africa's longest civil war. Two years later, violent conflict broke out after a political disagreement between President Salva Kiir and former Vice-President Riek Machar, that has since forced over four million people to flee to neighbouring countries and to other parts of the country. More than 1.6 million people remain internally displaced, with 75 per cent living in host communities and the remaining 25 per cent living in camp-like settings, including IDP sites (formerly Protection of Civilians sites). Recently, unprecedented recurrent flooding has continued to force more people to flee their homes.
Active military flighting has been notably reduced since the formation of the transitional unity government in February 2020. However, sub-national and local conflicts are on the rise.
The number of people living with crisis-level acute food insecurity or worse has increased from 5.8 million people for the period December 2020 – March 2021 to 7.24 million people in the period April – July 2021.
People we helped in South Sudan in 2020
NRC operates through static and mobile modes of response to both protracted and acute emergencies. Access constraints, like bureaucratic impediments and insecurity, continue to heavily affect the overall humanitarian operation and the ability to reach people in critical need.
NRC is able to reach people with lifesaving aid through our rapid mobile response emergency teams on the ground. This is one of our largest activities in South Sudan and it enables us to reach vulnerable people in remote areas.
Our education projects provide children and youth with learning opportunities. We provide:
- alternative education to those who have missed school
- vocational training for youth
- school meals
- sanitation facilities and clean water in schools
Information, counselling and legal assistance (ICLA)
Our ICLA programmes provide:
- information and training for communities to exercise their housing, land and property rights
- help to resolve conflicts over land to promote peaceful coexistence in communities
- support to displaced people to secure important legal documentation
- technical support to relevant government agencies responsible for housing, land and property policy
Livelihoods and food security
- distribute emergency food supplies in remote hard-to-reach areas
- provide cash/voucher and seeds to help families meet their immediate and intermediate food and other basic needs
- support people in getting a livelihood by giving training in agricultural production.
- help farmers gain access to markets and financing through saving and loan schemes
Shelter and settlements
Our shelter staff:
- distribute shelters and NFI kits for newly displaced people and returnees
- train people how to build, repair and improve their shelters
- construct schools and classrooms that are appropriate to the local context
Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) promotion
Our WASH projects provide displaced people with:
- clean water and sanitation facilities
- WASH kits
- knowledge about safe hygiene practices
NRC in South Sudan is a co-lead of protection, shelter/NFI and WASH clusters at the national level. Through Conflict Analyst, NRC provides conflict and context analysis to all humanitarian actors, donors, and diplomatic missions in South Sudan to inform the humanitarian response. NRC is a Strategic Advisory Group (SAG) member of education and protection clusters.
- Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (NMFA)
- Norwegian Agency for Development cooperation (Norad)
- Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida)
- Bureau of Humanitarian Affairs (BHA)
- World Food Programme (WFP)
- European Civil Protection & Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO)
- European Union (EU)
- South Sudan Humanitarian Fund (SSHF), managed by UNDP
- United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
About NRC in South Sudan
NRC in South Sudan
Country DirectorKennedy Mabonga
South Sudan: Fresh violence exacerbates famine threat
Escalating conflict in South Sudan’s Equatoria regions has led to the killing of civilians, forced thousands of people to flee and disrupted planting for farmers at a time when 60 per cent of the population is suffering from acute food insecurity. The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is calling on all parties to the conflict to urgently resolve tensions and avoid accelerating the risk of famine.
Reaction to UK announcement of cuts to foreign aid
Today the UK Government confirmed the drastic extent of its aid cuts to global humanitarian operations, which have been a lifeline to millions of vulnerable people around the world. In the coming year, the UK will spend £906m to support to humanitarian preparedness and response. This represents a more than 40 per cent drop compared to the 2019.