NRC is an international non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displacement-affected populations and works in the following six main core competencies: shelter; education; livelihoods and food security; information, counselling and legal assistance (ICLA); and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH).
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, and currently has offices located in Ramadi, Baghdad, Basra, Erbil, Dohuk, Hamam Al Alil, Mosul and Kirkuk. NRC has scaled up its response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile.
NRC is currently implementing a livelihoods project in Basra with funding support from UNDP aiming to:
- Provide grants to help existing or new businesses to expand and employ youth and women from poor households, rural-urban-migrant families, minorities and IDP communities.
- Provide small business grants to new or existing household-level micro businesses, providing vulnerable households with income generating opportunities.
- Facilitate market linkages between targeted businesses and buyers and/or suppliers, ensuring value chains are strengthened and made more sustainable.
- Build partnerships with private sector companies in growth sectors that could increase income generation for beneficiaries, as well as source local qualified labour or goods and services.
- Provide accredited vocational and on-the-job training (or apprenticeships) to improve the skills of target beneficiaries to match the needs in the local labour market.
- Provide training graduates with employment opportunities through job placements.
Against this background, NRC is inviting expressions of interest from interested and qualified parties for the delivery of Business Development and Soft Skills training directly to the intended beneficiaries of this project. The training will target 300 youth, men and women in Basra city and Al Qurna district and should help them enhance their business development knowledge and skills, employability, and ability to start their own businesses or expand their existing businesses.
The main objective for the consultancy is to ensure that targeted beneficiaries gain relevant skills, knowledge and competencies in the following areas:
- Business plan development;
- Market research;
- Start-up and management of small/micro/medium-sized enterprises;
- Bookkeeping and accounting;
- Soft skills relevant to effectively managing a businesses.
Applicants are required to be registered as a company or sole trader and need to have the capacity to deliver the requested services in Basra governorate. International applicants will be responsible for ensuring they can access the targeted locations in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
How to apply
Interested parties can obtain the Request for Quotations, including application instructions, free of charge from 6 August 2019 until the closing date on 19 August 2019. The documents should be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The email title should clearly indicate (IRAQ/RFQ/2019/022 – Consultancy BD).
The deadline for the submission of bids is 15:00 on 19 August 2019. Companies who do not submit their bid by this deadline will not be considered.